Getting the highly variable electricity mixes for different countries modelled in a consistent way is always a challenge for any LCA. This is particularly a challenge when applying the consequential modelling assumption.
2.-0 LCA consultants is carrying out consequential LCIs for electricity and heat for a growing number of countries. Project completed January 2019.
Marginal electricity mixes per country
Together with DuPont, 2.-0 LCA consultants initiated the Energy project in 2011 with the aim of establishing consequential LCIs on electricity in different countries. The project was established a club to which anyone could subscribe. In 2019 the energy club was closed and merged with the Executive Club after the methodology was implemented for the Ecoinvent database.
Data are available for the following countries/regions: Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Switzerland, Chile, China, Canada, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, United Kingdom, Indonesia, India, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Norway. Poland, Sweden, South Africa, Turkey, Europe, World, United States.
The following sample reports are available:
The main characteristics of the project were:
- The inventories for different countries are based on consistent modelling assumptions and consistent data
- The processes are created applying three different scenarios of consequential modelling. The three scenarios for consequential LCA includes: clca (future), clca (historical) and clca (coal)
- The LCIs are transparently documented and can easily be implemented in any LCA
- The LCIs are built using ecoinvent v3 in the background system
- The project solves years of debate on what is marginal electricity, and it serves the option for subscribers using a consistent global approach for electricity in all countries
- If imported in the ecoinvent library project in SimaPro, it is possible to switch between the different consequential scenarios – this also includes that the electricity being used in almost all processes of the ecoinvent database is affected by the switch (note that there is also a switch that represents ecoinvent default data)
It is still possible to buy electricity data for one single country without being a member of the Executive Club. This includes an intro/methodology report and a country-specific inventory report. Please enquire for current prices email@example.com